Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Treasure the Moments


April 28, 2020

I must admit that I marvel every time I experience a day like yesterday.  

I am an early riser and therefore when I leave in the morning it is usually dark and lately, cold. Yesterday, I got to add rain to the list!  When I arrived at school, it was just in time for a sudden down pour.  While I did not have far to run in the rain, I tend to prefer to stay dry verses getting soaked. However, as the day progressed, the clouds went away, the sun came out and created the most beautiful afternoon, warm enough to feel the hope of summer but still spring enough to not deal with mosquitoes.  

On such days, spirits are lifted and joy abounds!

I was then double blessed for when I entered the house, the aroma of apple crisp met me in the doorway.  What a perfect mix of spring, summer and fall!

Perfection!  I walked upstairs to see which angelic child had made that wonderful smells.

It was in that very next second that I had to remember the previous perfect moment because before me was a kitchen spattered top to bottom with salt water. All I could think was, 'How in the world...?' 

But I knew....doesn't a mom always know?

The evening before Jeremiah had really wanted ice cream, of which we did not have. 

The true Montessori-an in me said, "How would you like to solve that?"

To which he replied somewhat jokingly and yet not, "Have you go buy some."

I, therefore, replied most seriously, "I have a better idea, how about you make some?"

Jer proceeded to take out what was needed and noticed that there wasn't enough ice.  He made some and left it for the next morning. 

This is how I knew.... 

During the course of the day, they had tried making ice cream. Perhaps due to the nature of being teenagers (or simply because I was not there), the bag shaking needed to turn the cream into ice cream was done by walking all over the house.  I may not need to continue since one can just imagine what happened next. 

Yes, the bag was too vigorously shaken and the salt water was shaken right out of the bag...everywhere. 

When I inquired about the events of their day as I always do when I arrive home, they shared what had transpired and then proceeded to tell me, rather proudly, that they had cleaned up the entire mess. (I promise I didn't laugh out loud.) 

Lucky for them, I am good at deep breathing and firmly believe in using even moment as a teachable moment. :)  I am happy to say that by the time the evening was over they had restored order to the kitchen. There were great moments to treasure within the mess.

I shall never cease to be amazed at how children can make you laugh and cry, sing and dance and then take you to your knees all within seconds of each other! 

Hold onto the moments of singing, dancing, and laughing.  Remember the perfect moments when spring, summer and fall are all mixed together (and it is okay if these moments do not always include children).  Pick out a perfect moment from within your salt-water sprayed kitchen...those are the moments to treasure.   

Hoping some of the following pictures are your moments of singing, dancing and laughing together:


Kite flying


Bea in her nature fort


Fort building


Building together


Planting


Working on gross motor skills


Bubble blowing


Family game of basketball


Family Olympic awards (with cookies)


Clara and Lena on the Monkey Bridge


Bird house building


Bird House





Water balloon fun


Even dad joins in the fun! 
Looks like he might be having the most fun!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Life is a challenge, meet it!

January 18, 2021 Do you ever feel like it takes forever to journey through January?  Do you ever just have one of those days where you feel ...