Thursday, March 26, 2020

We Are Called

On my way to school this morning, the song 'We Are Called" started playing in my mind (you can listen to it here). After listening to Governor Walz issue an order to stay-at-home, I could only think that we have more work to do...not only to provide distance learning to all students but also to not forget these unprecedented days are more then just about the distance learning.  We are called….


At the end of last year, I was blessed to be in the Atrium with upper elem students.  The presentation of the day was the Spiritual Works of Mercy which are:
  • To instruct the ignorant. (This work of mercy means all of us are called to share and teach the faith passed on to us.)

  • To counsel the doubtful. (This work of mercy reminds us how important it is to walk closely with people going through transitions, loss, or great trails, holding them up in prayer and companionship.) 
  • To admonish the sinner. (This work of mercy calls us to, with love and mercy, dialog with others about sinful behavior.)
  • To bear wrongs patiently. (This work of mercy calls us to endure wrongs and be patient with hardships.)
  • To forgive offenses willingly. (This work of mercy is inseparably bound with the patient endurance of wrongdoing….forgiveness takes time.)
  • To comfort the afflicted. (This work of mercy calls us to support those going through a hard time.)
  • To pray for the living and the dead. (This is prayer that seeks to unite us to God which changes the physical act of feeding the poor into a spiritual act that does good to another and gives God the glory.)

The students spent time discussing these works and how we could incorporate them more into our own lives.  I remember leaving that Atrium that day feeling humbled by the depth of faith these students already had at 4th, 5th and 6th grade.  These students continued to pray for the dying (and to my knowledge have never stopped)! A priest in Ireland, Fr. Philip Kemmy, who was inspired by a scene in the Diary of St. Faustina, has sent a request that we spiritually adopt victims that are dying alone from the coronavirus.  The full article is linked here.

Today, I ask that you join upper elementary and pray for the living and the dead by spiritually adopting a victim through prayer. Someday we will see the benefits and power of our prayers, but until then, we trust our faith to know that praying for the dying can have a powerful impact on salvation.


Blessings on your day! 
_____________________________

Today I share a story from my own home...a favorite of my 5 children called Chicka, Chicka, Boom, Boom by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault 

Would you share a favorite book from your home?  In the comments below, type the title of the book and who in the family claims it as their favorite. :)

5 comments:

  1. "If You Take a Mouse to School" by Laura Numeroff was one of my childhood favorites. I used to read it over and over to my younger brother, though I don't know if it ever became his favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiki's Hats by Warren Hanson is a favorite at our house. It's a wonderful story of a lady who knits hats to give away. Charlie has memorized it, and now "reads" it on her own:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hop on Pop by Dr. Seuss was a favorite book of mine because I was able to read it to my younger brothers.
    My favorite was Big Bad Bruce by Bill Peet especially when my dad read it to me. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farewell to Shady Glade by Bill Peet. Nico loves the difference voices I make for each character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first 4 books of the 26 Fairmount Ave series by Tomie dePaola are favorite audiobooks around here! (It’s his autobiography and he reads it.)

    ReplyDelete

Life is a challenge, meet it!

January 18, 2021 Do you ever feel like it takes forever to journey through January?  Do you ever just have one of those days where you feel ...